Monday, June 23, 2008

Zen and the Art of Life

The term Zen means to be awake in the present.

For me, the past few months have brought me closer to understanding this fully. And it is through taking care of my life and creating my art that I have found awareness in every moment.

I have been feeling the connectedness of this world as I take better care of myself. I have been working hard to nurture my physical health but also to create all of the art that fills my heart, soul, and mind to the brim.


This morning, a tiny rabbit and I were running in opposite directions, but I knew we were connected. In so many ways. We share the same neighborhood, we are warm blooded creatures, we both run.

The only boundaries that separate us are the ones in our minds. When I look at any person, I know that they are no different than me and I than them. We have different life experiences in which we have arrived where we are in different ways, but we are connected.

We think we are not connected to this world and we have the preconceived notion that it IS scary to be connected to this world. But we are whether we want to be or not.

As I let go of the notion I can not make a living with my art, which is also just a preconceived notion, I find that I am more at peace. This is what I am meant to do. It is as simple as that.


I have often said that my art is not just the only art I create, my life is my art... the way I live my life is my art.

No comments: