Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Weaving a Tony Award Winning Musical

Think of the music for There's No Business like Show Business from Annie Get Your Gun...

There's no business
Like the crafting business,
Like no business I know!
Everything about it is appealing!
Everything nimble fingers will allow!
No where could you have that happy feeling,
When you are trimming that extra dowel!

There's more in my head... but I won't get any more carried away than usual.

The musical I wanted to write after this year's Tony Awards was based on the strange feeling I have when travelling home to Ohio and then coming back to Orange County, California.

I have two songs thus far. One is about how I feel skinny in Ohio but then fat in California. The other is how when we arrive back at the airport in California, every man is a metrosexual. All are very tidy and tan and fashionably dressed and ALL have manicured facial shrubbery.

Men in Ohio look like men. Men in California look like they have stepped off magazine covers. Men in Ohio look like farmers and truck drivers and business men. Men in California look like models.

I really only experience this feeling for the first 20 minutes in the airport. Get out into Orange County and I see other types of folks. But the airport people... well that is a different sort of folks.

And speaking of weaving... since that is in the title of this post...

Santa brought me, in 1983, my very own Fisher Price loom. I got it out last week, put it together, and have been making projects on it ever since. Here is the photo record of these events:























Fisher Price was a division of the Quaker Oats Company in 1983. That fact is on the plastic pieces as well as all over the handbook. They wanted to make sure that we knew that the Quakers were selling these looms I guess.

I'm pretty psyched about this new little endeavor. I'm cutting up clothes tomorrow to make a woven rag rug. Yea!

1 comment:

13 Delancey Street said...

A Fisher Price loom, get out! I've never seen one of these! Beats my EasyBake oven hands down (and I'm pretty big on that oven). This is the cooolest thing ever -- and (I may have to have a Word with Santa about skipping *my* loom in '83 :-)