Monday, July 21, 2008

Confessions of an Unorganized Happy Artist

So I have to admit something.

I was in the local bookstore meandering through the aisles thinking to myself, "What am I really looking for?"

I know I need to organize so that my art-making processes are more efficient. So I headed to self-help. Well, self-help is all about how to make your self comfortable with yourself -- not how to organize your workspace.

One aisle over was the art section. Hmmm... I picked up a book on how to doodle. Because for some reason, I thought maybe I could use some instruction on that.

One more aisle over were the pre-pregnancy, present-pregnancy, and post-pregnancy books. And just past that was the kids area. I wondered if there was a reason these were all clumped together. All are about change and metamorphosis and growth. Change and growth...

And then it dawned on me. I was looking for the biggest brightest shiniest newest edition of "How Exactly to be an Artist in 2008 with the subtitle Every Single Little Detail That You Want to Figure This Out So You Can Run Your Art Life." I wanted plans to follow and order and neatness and someone to tell me what to do even though I would not take their advice and figure out something that is better for myself.

I am admitting I have no idea what I am doing. I don't have a plan. Plans make me comfortable. Plans make me happy. But instead I am living chaos. And I follow this pattern: I get up, I make things, I post them on-line, I blog, I make more stuff, I market my shop, I talk endlessly to the cats, I eat, I sleep, and then I get up and do it all over again the next day.

But it's the best job ever! I just need to take the best job ever and make it make me money. Just enough to live and breath and give a little back. I am HAPPY every day. And I would rather have just enough and be happy than to have it all and not be happy.

I'm stepping off my button box now. Please feel free to post books, things that work for you, ideas for me... anything that could positively influence my art life.

Hey! And look what crawled out of my button box! Beautious! I guess something wonderful came out of my confession...




1 comment:

SpinachNPeace said...

I am as lost as you are, but I'm staying tuned for answers:)

I wish I had an endless supply of money so that I could just keep arting even if no one is buying. I think one of the keys is to find something that will financially support you, whether it be a side business or some form of art.