Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Creative Constipation

Today I have some creative constipation. I've got ideas swirling in my head and I'm not sure what to do first. And I'm not sure anything is going to happen if I sit down at the table.

Since January, I have made something every day. There were days it was a scribble on the back of a business card or four rows in my knitting or me just gluing endless pieces of paper together but then there were days when I finished an entire 30x30 painting in a day or sewed four stuffed animals out of old shirts or made 25 pieces of jewelry. There was only one moment in the past sevenish months where I felt seized up like I do today.

And I don't remember how I got out of that.

If anyone in the ether is reading, please tell me about how you have gotten past your artist blockages. I'm curious. I know I'll get through this one today -- but I'd love to have a toolbox to work from.

Alrighty. I've answered all but two of my personal e-mails, I've been on a walk, I've eaten breakfast and lunch. Now it's time to get down to artist business. I am holding myself to posting before midnight tonight with what I made today.

Here goes nothing...

2 comments:

T.Allen said...

Perfection paralysis usually leads to extreme creative constipation. When that happens, I just doodle or start writing, twist a wire, veganize a recipe-eventually something will click. It is the left hemisphere and all of the planning and logic which confines your creative muses-let go and create. Good luck.

Scott Bulger Photography said...

I hike. I put my camera on the tripod, throw it over my shoulder and just hike through the woods. Maybe I shoot something and maybe I don't, but the two hours of peace is invigorating.